The phone rings. The teacher emails. The dog needs food, and come to think of it, so do your kids. The calendar fills. The laundry piles, and that verse haunts you.
As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15b
I get what the verse means. It’s living out the meaning that’s hard.
How does your household serve God in daily, practical, and yet, meaningful ways?
Not so long ago, my family stood paralyzed by the greatness of our inadequacies and the needs of the world.
Then, God started whispering, you know those soft whispers you hear in your head and feel in your veins. He told us that serving Him meant serving others. He told us to quit defining what service looked like and just start serving.
So, we did, and guess what? You can too. Need some ideas? I thought you might. Check out this list (and links because who has time to look for links?) of 10 practical ways your family can serve the Lord today.
• Write letters of encouragement to soldiers. Soldiers’ Angels assists you in flooding our country’s heroes with mail and thanks.
• Peek through an issue of IMPACT, an ezine designed to inspire families to serve others.
• Read about teens making a difference at Generation On.
• Color pictures for the lonely. Color a Smile encourages even the littlest servers to send some crayon, colored love through the mail.
• Find the courage to look at hard topics. What’s the fastest growing division of the porn industry? Child porn. Makes you sick, right? Good. Go see what The Sold Project is doing about it.
• Lend a microloan. Kiva changes lives by lending small loans (as low as $25.00) to an entrepreneur across the world. These entrepreneurs then use your money to buy livestock, start a store, purchase a bike, or provide them the opportunity to
earn money. Then, through Kiva, these same entrepreneurs pay you back.
• Love even when it’s not convenient and especially when it’s hard.
• Watch a video, even if it makes you uncomfortable. Need direction? Try this one, The Girl Effect.
• Read To the End of June by Cris Beam. It will make your heart hurt and swell at the same time.
• Pray always.
Amy L. Sullivan. Word lover. Book devourer. Music addict. Amy’s first book on serving others as a family will release on September 22, 2014. She is pretty darn excited.
Find out more about Amy’s book or connect with Amy online.
To follow my blog follow me on Facebook or Twitter using the buttons above.